Before the month of January ends out, I wanted to do an official post and list of my favorite watches from last year. For those who do not know, I watched about 77ish films/series either for fun or just to remember how things played out or it’s been upgraded to a better quality, etc. So I glanced over my list and I am amazed at all the different kinds of subgenres I watched, the various decades, and looking at this current list now, I see that I have a nice mixed bag here.
Here are my top 20 favorite watches from 2020 + a single word to describe the film without giving anything away! Just in case you might want to check these films out!
20. From Beyond (1986), dir. Stuart Gordon – slimy
19. Dario Argento’s Opera (1987), dir. Dario Argento – eyeporn
18. Hell House LLC (2015), dir. Stephen Cognetti – clown
17. Ganja & Hess (1973), Bill Gunn – bloody
16. Shaun of the Dead (2004), dir. Edgar Wright – oblivious
15. Crawl (2019), dir. Alexandre Aja – claustrophobic
14. Blood Machines (2019), dir. Seth Ickerman – stimulation
13. Tetsuo I: The Iron Man (1989), dir. Shinya Tsukamoto – *blinks*
12. Re-Animator (1985), dir. Stuart Gordon – head
11. Fright Night (1985), dir. Tom Holland – bitey
10. Black Sunday (1960), dir. Mario Bava – punctures
09. The Cabin in the Woods (2011), dir. Drew Goddard – surveillance
08. Host (2020), dir. Rob Savage – quarantine
07. Blue My Mind (2017), dir. Lisa Bruhlmann – scalpel
06. Terrified aka Aterrados (2017), dir. Demian Rugna – what?
05. The Mimic (2017), dir. Huh Jung – umma (which means mom/mother in Korean)
04. Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017), dir. Issa Lopez – chalk
03. Digging Up the Marrow (2014), dir. Adam Green – drawings
02. In Search of Darkness Part I & Part II (2019 & 2020), dir. David A. Weiner – nostalgia
01. Carnival of Souls (1962), dir. Herk Harvey – organ
These movies were my top favorites for various reasons: it was something new and I had never seen before, cult films that lived up to their hype, underrated hidden films, foreign horror, black and white films and so on.
So what are some favorite or recommended watches from last year?